I Wrote This After Now

If things had been different...
Such an innocent phrase, naive, used by both the young and hopeful, and the tired and empty.
If things had been different, maybe I wouldn't be the latter.
Maybe I would be looking ahead to the shining future of a young professional;
"I'm a writer!" She says, with all the unearned confidence of a lamb masquerading as a tiger. But it wouldn't matter how many wolves licked their lips, she would persist.
The world nothing but her oyster, her deep sea diving suit comprised of the ring on her finger and a four year degree in a field that doesn't pay unless you never ever stop swimming.
If things had been different...I could see it, all of it, steadily waiting on the horizon line.
If the affair never happened, if the strokes never struck down my father, if my heart didn't break every day for a decade feeling my mother's resulting resolve and desperation, if they had chosen to to tell me sooner that my conception was a cash-for-services exchange...
If.
If.
IF.
But there's no sense in the 'ifs', is there? Reality is the here and now, in all its dark misunderstood glory. Reality is the relentless questioning of God, and then questioning if I'm allowed to question Him. It's the way thoughts run over themselves until I can't tell what's real, and whispering "Please stop," to the girl in the mirror as if she has any clue how to make herself cease to feel, cease to think, cease to...be.
They say my heart is hard, but they have no idea how hard it really is to stop it from bleeding. I've just gotten a knack for cleaning up the mess.
But it seems no matter how deeply I scrub, some of the stains never come out. My assumption is that most people have stains though, in one form or another, but of course very few are inclined to rip up their carpets to validate my point. Can't blame them.
Regardless, reality has brought us all here. To now.
Now, when I'm deciding if I want to live in a duplex or an apartment after I'm married, while blood stains the waistline of my jeans.
Now, filtering through housing options, because they have to allow cats.
And now, wondering what kind of nerve I must have committing to someone for life when I often question how long I'd like mine to last.
Now is a funny thing that way. Built of layers of ifs, and maybes, and "it won't always be like this," and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see the future when I can't reach beyond the past.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathless

Scarlet, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn.

For Her