And These Are The Hands On My Throat

I'm sorry my heart aches for reasons undefined,
And that my thoughts strangle each other within my mind,
They can't get out -- can't taste the air, 
You're reaching in to let them breathe,
But I know they don't play fair.

Please, I'm sorry,
I don't know if I can make you understand,
It's so very loud in here -- but don't draw back your hand.
I'm swimming in static...but everything echoes,
Every accusation, every dagger,
Every "Do what you can, fool, but it'll never matter."
I'm not insane,
Not even close,
But the voices are so loud sometimes I've learned to call them by name.

Remorse, she tips my head back and forces me to look in her eyes.
Guilt, he's seductive...dark and tall and full of well-reasoned lies.
I'm reaching up towards the light, but Bitterness is fast, he grabs my hand every time.
Sabotage is beautiful, but in one perfect fist she holds a blade, whispering in my ear, "Take it, you know it will make you less afraid."

They are malice, I know, in every single way.
I promise I hear you, there's just nothing I can say.
Your voice is cutting through the dark,
but my throat is wrapped in chains.
Please take my apology,
Because I just cannot explain.

I'm sorry my heart aches for reasons undefined,
Please pull me back if I've crossed any lines.
See, you would think by now I've done my time,
Surely it's just a phase of watching the silent seconds tick by,
But I always find myself here again...
looking to Heaven and wondering why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathless

Scarlet, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn.

For Her